What needed to change
Every year, Bird Studies Canada coordinates the Toronto Bird Celebration (#TOBirdParty), a series of public events encouraging people to learn about, and experience, the return of millions of migratory birds to the GTA. While the event has been growing in popularity, Bird Studies Canada needed to engage younger and more diverse audiences, to ensure more people feel a responsibility to protect the vulnerable urban environments these birds depend on.
Toronto is a city of world-class sports, entertainment, and cultural festivals. To put #TOBirdParty on the consideration list for residents and visitors, we developed a clever digital, transit, and out-of-home campaign that used meme-like creative that compared #TOBirdParty favourably with some of Toronto’s major events such as Pride, TIFF, Blue Jays Baseball, etc.
170% increase in overall online engagement:
- More social media traffic (especially Instagram, a new channel in 2019)
- More traffic from the GTA outside Toronto
- More people age 25-34
- Shift from desktop to mobile engagement
- Earned media in Globe and Mail, The Weather Network, CBC Radio
- Influencer posts by Mayor John Tory, The Toronto Zoo, and others