Acart is seeking an experienced, Intermediate-Senior (Level 2) Full-Stack Web Developer to join our studio.
The candidate will principally work as a back-end developer, but must have some strong front-end and design experience: primary responsibilities will include creating websites working with our creative teams and studio’s designers. An understanding of front-end technologies is therefore mandatory.
You must have 5–10 years of experience working as a Web Developer on medium-to-large scale private- and public-sector assignments. You will be depended upon to achieve objectives on time and on budget while working autonomously on several assignments at once.
This position requires the candidate to work in our downtown office’s studio during regular business hours. Your role may require security clearance.
– Working in a deadline-driven, cost-effective, and fast-moving studio environment (ideally in the marketing-communications sector)
– Designing, coding and modifying websites to function according to design, functional/technical and client specifications.
– Creation of visually appealing websites and applications that feature user-friendly functionality.
– Strong understanding of UI, cross-browser and device compatibility, general web functions and standards, including accessibility.
– Deep functional knowledge or hands-on design experience with web services (REST, SOAP, etc.).
– Strong grasp of security principles and how they apply to e-Commerce applications.
– Implementation of a variety of content management systems (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal) and the ability and knowledge to recognize and recommend the correct solution.
– Hosting setup, website/email migration
– Responsive retrofitting (re-skins or creating mobile viewports/breakpoints)
– Proficient with code versioning tools, such as Git
– Understanding of “session management” in a distributed server environment (including a local test server and remote staging server)
– Creating, using, maintaining development environments and site installations on local servers
– Integration of multiple data sources and databases into one system
– Data migration, transformation and scripting
– Setup and administration of backups
– Implementing automated testing platforms and unit tests
– Knowledge of Search Engine Optimization process
– Strong organizational and communications skills to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets with business acumen
– Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques.
– HTML, XHTML
– Java, jQuery
– WET 2.2
– CLF 3.0
– WC3, WCAG 2.0 and WAI-ARIA
– CMS (WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.) and creating custom themes, plugins, widgets/nodes
– Treasury Board and privacy regulations
– Creating landing pages in inbound and DM platforms
– Bilingual (English, French)
– GSAP (Greensock)
– Marketing and Communications sector experience (advertising, promotions, corporate communications)
– Social Media APIs and Apps
– WHM / WHMCS
– e-Commerce Platforms (Shopify, WooCommerce, Magento)
– Creating content for Canada.ca
– Creating fillable, accessible PDFs
– Creating e-Books (ePub, Kindle, iBooks, etc)
College or university accreditation is required in interactive production, web development, computer science or equivalent. IT-related certifications (i.e., Microsoft .NET, J2EE) are a plus.
Submit your Resume and Portfolio
In order to be considered for this position, candidates must submit via email: a cover letter outlining why your feel you’re an ideal candidate; a resume; and a portfolio of work samples. Submissions lacking any of these three items will not be considered.
Candidates must be entitled to work in Canada and must be living within the Ottawa, Ontario region. This is an in-person, hands-on role: remote workers and suppliers need not apply.
No phone calls, faxes, or drop-ins please: all submissions must be made via email.
Please email resumes and portfolios to:
Charles Crosbie, Digital Lead
Acart Communications welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank everyone for their interest but only those candidates matching our criteria will be contacted for an interview.